Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Women in Hip Hop...Or a lack thereof



So for a while now I've been trying to find some decent sounding female rappers, emcees, lyricists, etc. I've listened to Angie Martinez, Trina, Da Brat, of course and Missy Elliot was my favorite back in the days. Nowadays it just seems that girls in HipHop have kinda fell off the map.

A couple years ago I came across a girl named Medusa. She's tight no doubt but I haven't really been able to find anything new on her. Now being on Twitter it seems like there might be some hope.

I started following LaBlaxicana, she's got a blog... http://www.pissinthewind.wordpress.com/ and on there she's doing us all a favor and scouting and profiling female rappers. Nowadays anyone can call themselves an artist but finding quality is like finding a needle in a haystack.

For instance...I listened to a Chicana rapper, Miss Lady Pinks I think it was, she's got a following so more power to her, but all she talked about was gangbanging and how good she is in bed, etc. While her music may be entertaining to some to me it has no substance... I don't know its the equivalent to Souljah Boy singing bout ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and still having millions of fans.

Also through Twitter I found this really talented girl from Cali ... Snow tha Product, after I heard her stuff it sparked an interest in me wondering where all the other talented females are!??
Like I've said before I'm no HipHop authority but you can tell the difference between someone who's fakin the funk and someone who can really back it up. If anyone has any suggestions leave them here or on my Twitter...

****On the topic of Twitter I should also throw in LatinaBeatz this girl is tight as hell, she does it all, KNOWS her HipHop, represents/manages some of the best, and has a blog of her own that I'm sure most people can find something on there to relate to... lifestyle, opinion, music, politics, etc. http://latinabeatz.blogspot.com/


= D



click the link for Piss In The Wind Mixtape snippets http://usershare.net/qzcyo6wa7n22

No comments:

Post a Comment