Monday, July 20, 2009

Underground female emcee Tenochtitlan

Just posting this because I had the pleasure of meeting and mini interviewing her online for my piece on Sound Clash 2. She is and AMAZING artist. I think she deserves recognition so I'm posting the full interview some pics and vid I have and her where you can find her.

[Pictures and video will be posted as soon as I find my camara usb cord lol]


EmptyBelly Magazine just interviewed her... check it out at http://emptybellymagazine.com/

there's no direct link but Click on CONTENTS, then Click icon titled BELLYEMPTY GROUND SURFACED SPITTAZ. That will take you to the article.


Name: Angela Rodriguez

1. How old are you?

I'm 26 years old--wit a bullet. Lol.

2. Where do you stay?

I stay in Los Angeles.

3. What inspires you to write music and how long have you been doing it for?

I'm inspired to write lyrics by what I've lived through, and what I see every day. The panaderia on the corner where I grab a cup of coffee. The people at the bus stop at 7am, hard working people. The mamas pushing strollers, while carrying laundry, and groceries. It never ceases to amaze me how resilient the human spirit can be. I've been writing off and on for about 2yrs. I was really into rap in high school, and then life took me in other directions. But I found my way back to my true love.


4. What do you hope to get out of performing (are you seeking stardom)?
I'm not gonna diss stardom, because having the power and influence to bring attention to important social issues could help bring about positive change. Is it my motivation? Fuck no. I enjoy my privacy. I just want to rap my heart out and be able to pay the mortgage on a decent home, give my daughter her own room, and a nice backyard. Okay, and buy a chromed-out 64 Chevy Impala with candy paints. Canary yellow. Lol. Okay, and launch my clothing line, perfume, and travel the world. But that's all.

5. Your lyrics are very strong, where does that come from and what do you hope to convey to your audience through your lyrics?

I come from a dysfunctional family, which I think 90% of people do too. Nothing has ever been stable in my life. But that only makes you stronger. Makes you able to bounce back, bob and weave when life is trying to take you out. My parents taught me the value of hard work, discipline, and integrity. And that nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is free. Even if you have to pay with intangibles. I'm brutally honest and request the same. I'm so fuckin' grateful for every single blessing in my life. Nobody has to help you. No one has to lift a finger for you. You aren't entitled to shit. EARN IT. What I hope to convey to audiences is that life is beautiful! Live it fully. Give back. Help others. Fuck negativity. Love without cowardice of getting your punk ass feelings hurt. Work hard to create the life you want. You deserve it!!!!!


6. Why do you think there isn't a lot of collaboration between female emcees?

I loved it when Lil Kim, Left Eye (RIP), and Missy got together and did "Ladies' Night". Wasn't that the shit?! HARD CORE Sistas gettin' down! Mad Dope! But I think it doesn't happen as much with underground artists because it's a clash of egos. And this is the "ME,ME, ME" generation. I would be more than willing to collab with other female emcees as long as they ain't coming with no materialistic, "fuck the haters", ballin', DUMBED DOWN SHIT. God, there are so many more important issues affecting mankind, and women in particular, than what designer bag you got, or how you feel other women are jealous of you, or how you like to get over on men. GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE WITH THAT!!!!!!!! I'm sick to my fuckin' stomach of that shit. Pick up a fuckin' book. Watch the History channel. Volunteer. If you ain't jumpin' off with real substance, LEAVE ME THE FUCK ALONE.


7. How do you feel about the women you went up against, their styles and lyrics?

I gotta say, it was dope seeing so many women who share my love of hip hop, who like me, are just dying to snatch the mic and drop HEATERZ. I was honored to be part of SOUND CLASH. Much respect Dvious! I thought these ladies are so full of passion, so strong, so beautiful! The crowd applauded for who they was feelin' the most. I accept my loss. I just wish I could've heard more positivity. Let's embrace our gorgeous brown and black men-stop putting them down. Let's reach out to each other as real women and help each other get out of abusive relationships. Let's praise each other for being amazing single moms. Let's encourage and promote the INDEPENDENT WOMAN. ALL THE POWER TO YOU MY SISTERS!!!!!


Contact: www.Twitter.com/templeofteno and http://www.myspace.com/tenochtitlanmusic



Latinabeatz full interview with Teno for Ralptalk.net

http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1657/54/





La Blaxicana's video @ SoundClash 2 also http://www.pissinthewind.wordpress.com/



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0etJx4r5rQ8

No comments:

Post a Comment